Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] [Wireshark-commits] rev 36452: /trunk/gtk/ /trunk/gtk/: main

From: Graham Bloice <graham.bloice@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2011 14:20:38 +0100
On 20/06/2011 14:00, Stig Bjørlykke wrote:
On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 2:35 PM, Graham Bloice
<graham.bloice@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
In what way can't you update your build machine?
It's a production machine, and it's not my table at all.
The build is a "Scheduled Task", all I get is the output.
My main build is for Solaris and OSX, which I control.

 You obviously update the sources on it.
I have my own internal subversion with the source.

I'm happy with any solution, I just want our source to build without
hazzle for everybody else regardless of compiler/SDK installed.

Whilst that would be perfect, it isn't really practical without reams of fugly conditional compilation.  Windows Service Packs add functions to their base OS, and unless you upgrade the SDK you won't be able to use them, so VS2005 stock can't use any stuff added in XP SP3 for instance.  The current "standard" used for Wireshark releases is VS2008, can you get the build machine moved to that?

As the earliest version supported is XP I think more functions from SP3 might be used "forcing" VS2005 folks to upgrade their SDK.  Maybe we also need to tighten the supported platforms info to explicitly state the SP of XP, as I'm not certain that Wireshark will run on plain old XP.  MS only provides "Extended" support for XP SP3 until 2014.  Extended means security patches only.

--
Regards,

Graham Bloice