Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] [Wireshark-commits] rev 36452: /trunk/gtk/ /trunk/gtk/: main

From: Graham Bloice <graham.bloice@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2011 13:07:53 +0100
On 20/06/2011 09:58, Stig Bjørlykke wrote:
On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 7:12 PM,  <gerald@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Log:
 On Windows, try to use an existing console for our messages. Create one if
 it doesn't exist.
This does not build with MSVC2005, because AttachConsole needs
_WIN32_WINNT 0x0500.
Did we abandon MSVC2005 and older?

This is a bit of an annoyance to me.  IMHO the windows builds should be targeting an SDK, not the compiler version.  Even VC6 can use newer SDK's which not only include all the headers and libraries for later OS's, but update all the tools such as the compiler and linker.

I haven't tested it for this specific issue (though I have built Wireshark for many years in this way), but I'm pretty positive that if you install a newer SDK (use the latest 7.1) and then from your command prompt use the "SetEnv.cmd" from the SDK to setup paths etc then the build will be OK.

The define you quoted is for selecting the minimum API spec of the target system, 0x0500 is Win2K, but the function you quote is only for XP or later.

--
Regards,

Graham Bloice