Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Eclipse project for Wireshark

From: Jakub Zawadzki <darkjames@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2011 20:29:12 +0100
On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 09:22:49AM -0800, Guy Harris wrote:
> > The problem is that Wireshark is launched by a script settings paths and doing whatnot and finally starting Wireshark from some (hidden?!) subfolder.
>
> That's libtool at work.  If the GNU project GDB and the GNU project libtool can't work together, that's something for the GNU project to fix; if DDD can't handle libtool-based projects, that's something for DDD to fix.
>
> I'm not the world's biggest fan of libtool, but it's used enough that development tools, including DDD, need to be able to cope with it.

My libtool wrapper script mainly sets LD_LIBRARY_PATH and run .libs/program, I can't find reason why it should break something.

I prefer using gdb, but libtool --mode=execute ddd ./wireshask also works for me:
	http://darkjames.pl/ddd-wireshark.png

So it seems to be some user/distro-specific problem.

I'd start with checking if I really compiled with debug symbols (objdump -S/-W), and if I have access to these files from user i run wireshark,
and later blame wireshark/libtool/ddd/gdb/gcc/binutils developers ;-)

Cheers.