Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Eclipse project for Wireshark

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2011 11:06:07 -0800
On Jan 25, 2011, at 1:02 AM, Dietfrid Mali wrote:

> I used the call given below, but replaced 'gdb' with 'ddd'. ddd doesn't display any source code though, so there's still something going wrong.

	http://wiki.wireshark.org/Development/Tips

"Using DDD for debugging

DDD is GNU's graphical front-end for the GDB command-line debugger (among others). http://www.gnu.org/software/ddd/

To help DDD locate your source files while debugging, "cd" into the directory where those source files exist and then start DDD through libtool (just like GDB), or look in the DDD menu "Edit" -> "GDB Settings..." -> "Search path for source files" and explicitly add the path there."

As noted, DDD is just a GUI front end to gdb; if gdb doesn't require this extra stuff to find source, but DDD does, that's a bug in DDD, so you should complain to the DDD developers. If I run gdb on Wireshark the way you must run it with any app built with libtool, i.e. with "./libtool --mode=execute gdb {application}", it appears to find source files in, at least, the top-level directory, the epan directory, the epan/dissectors directory, and the gtk directory, as well as in at least one plugin, at least on Mac OS X, without having to explicitly specify any paths in which to search for source files - "show directories" just prints "Source directories searched: $cdir:$cwd".