Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Having the buildbot build Wireshark 64-bit for Mac OS X (was

From: Michael Tüxen <Michael.Tuexen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 14:10:20 +0200
On Apr 29, 2010, at 2:52 AM, Guy Harris wrote:

> On Apr 28, 2010, at 3:10 PM, Michael Tüxen wrote:
>
>> OK. I'll get an additional system which can act as a 64-bit Snow Leopard builder.
>> This way we have a 32-bit Leopard builder and a 64-bit SnowLeopard
>> one.
>
> So what builds would we offer OS X users as downloads?
>
> A 64-bit-only Snow Leopard build wouldn't work on Intel Core Duo or Intel Core Solo machines that have been updated to Snow Leopard (no Core Duo or Core Solo machines *shipped* with Snow Leopard), so anybody running Snow Leopard on one of those machines would presumably have to install the 32-bit Leopard build.
Hi Guy,

the plan is to run the 64-bit SnowLeopard buildbot in addition to the
existing 32-bit Leopard buildbot.

> It probably also wouldn't work on a Leopard machine, for a variety of reasons (requiring newer versions of system libraries than are on Leopard, 64-bit BPF possibly being broken even worse than on Snow Leopard).
>
> Safari's User-Agent string doesn't appear to include any 32-bit vs. 64-bit indication; however, it does include an OS version indication:

> so we could
>
> 	offer nothing to Mac OS X 10_[0-4]*;
This is what we do right now.

> 	offer the (32-bit) PPC Leopard version to {whatever} Mac OS X 10_5*;
This is what we do right now.

> 	offer the 32-bit Intel Leopard version to Intel Mac OS X 10_5*;
This is what we do right now.

> 	offer the 64-bit Intel Snow Leopard version to Intel Mac OS X 10_[6-9]*, perhaps with a warning that if you have a non-64-bit-capable machine you should get the Leopard version instead.
That is a good plan. However, for now, I would suggest to support only Mac OS 10_6*.
If Apple can provide Mac OS X 10_7*, 10_8* and 10_9* running on current hardware, I'm
happy to provide test machines. But I'm very disappointed that we have no plans for
supporting Mac OS 10_10* and higher right now...

Best regards
Michael