Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Having the buildbot build Wireshark 64-bit for Mac OS X (was

From: Jeff Morriss <jeff.morriss.ws@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2010 15:37:49 -0400
Guy Harris wrote:
On Apr 27, 2010, at 11:36 AM, Jeff Morriss wrote:

Given that the MacOS buildbot (at least the Intel one) is so fast, would it make sense to also build a 64-bit version of Wireshark?

As long as we make sure it works on Leopard before we offer it to Leopard users.

Well, yes :-).

I guess I had assumed that most of the developers were using 64-bit, it was just a question of what is being built by the buildbot.

We could, I guess, build dumpcap 32-bit only, and just build Wireshark and TShark 64-bit.

Also, that would require arranging, somehow, to have both 32-bit and
64-bit versions of GLib installed, with the different versions of
Wireshark built against the different versions. You could make the
*libraries* 2-way fat, but making the *header files* work both in 32-bit
and 64-bit mode might take a little more work. (Or have separate
buildbots.) For the OS versions on which we can make both the 32-bit and
64-bit versions work, we'd probably want to lipo them together - along
with the supporting libraries - so that there's one version that would
work on both 32-bit and 64-bit processors.

Ah, so MacOS doesn't have, say, "/usr/lib/" and "/usr/lib64/" for 32- and 64-bit libraries? Or is this because we're shipping glib, not using one from the OS?

But: would the header files have to be different? Linux and Solaris seem get away with one set of header files for both the 32- and 64-bit libraries.