Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Having the buildbot build Wireshark 64-bit for Mac OS X (was

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 11:10:29 -0700
On Apr 29, 2010, at 5:10 AM, Michael Tüxen wrote:

> On Apr 29, 2010, at 2:52 AM, Guy Harris wrote:
>
>> so we could
>>
>> 	offer nothing to Mac OS X 10_[0-4]*;
>
> This is what we do right now.

I'd assumed we were already doing some of this, as I knew we checked the CPU type.

>> 	offer the 64-bit Intel Snow Leopard version to Intel Mac OS X 10_[6-9]*, perhaps with a warning that if you have a non-64-bit-capable machine you should get the Leopard version instead.
>
> That is a good plan. However, for now, I would suggest to support only Mac OS 10_6*.
> If Apple can provide Mac OS X 10_7*, 10_8* and 10_9* running on current hardware, I'm
> happy to provide test machines.

In general, the intent is to have Mac OS X 10.{n+1} be binary-compatible with Mac OS X 10.{n}, although the X11 libraries don't always succeed there, so my inclination would be to offer the Snow Leopard build to all post-SL versions - until they're released, it'll just be people in Apple and people seeded with pre-releases using it, and they should know they're living on the edge, and, once they're released, presumably they'll submit bugs if it doesn't work, and either we or Apple should get the bugs and fix them.

> But I'm very disappointed that we have no plans for
> supporting Mac OS 10_10* and higher right now...

I figured I'd leave Intel Mac OS X 10_[1-9][0-9]* out of the regexp to keep things simple. :-)  (And the actual regexp should have ended with [_0-9]* in both cases - I guess I was thinking of shell wildcard patterns rather than regexps.)