Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] CRC32 functions

From: Gregory Seidman <gsslist+wireshark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 2009 11:07:27 -0400
On Thu, Oct 08, 2009 at 10:29:22AM -0400, Jeff Morriss wrote:
> Gregory Seidman wrote:
>> Is there a good reason why the functions in epan/crc32.c aren't listed in
>> epan/libwireshark.def? I'm developing dissector plugins under Windows and I
>> need a CRC32 routine. I can change epan/libwireshark.def locally for my own
>> builds, but I'm not sure whether the plugin will be able to load and link
>> properly on an unmodified build of Wireshark.
>
> Generally the only reason functions aren't in the .def file is because
> no one has used or requested them to be there.  I added the CRC32
> functions in rev 30401.

Excellent, thanks! I'll just require the people using the plugin to use
Wireshark 1.2.3 or later. Out of curiosity, though, why not include pretty
much all functions in epan in the epan/libwireshark.def file? Or even
generate it automatically from header files?

Meanwhile, for those curious, using the plugin with an unmodified install
fails, complaining about being unable to find the symbol.

--Greg