Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] a manifest problem?

From: Lukas Haas <luhaas@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2008 10:25:37 +0100
hi folks,

i finally got my own plugin running (compiled with Microsoft Visual C++
2008 Express Edition -> MSVC2008EE). because it's ment to be
distributed to some colleagues later, i've included the manifest info
(mt.exe –manifest my_plugin.dll.manifest
-outputresource:my_plugin.dll;2). infortunately, a test on an other
workstation with the newest wireshark (1.0.4) installed only (so no
Visual Studio or something like that) led to the following error:

"Couldn't load module: C:\Program
Files\Wireshark\plugins\1.0.4\my_plugin.dll: This application has
failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect.
Reinstalling the application may fix this problem."

in the mail archive i've read a lot of problems when not using
Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 so i did the whole process again with the
MSVC2005 variant, included the manifest and tried it on the previously
mentioned workstation. and it worked, which is nice, but i'd like to
know if it's possible to copy/paste plugins compiled with the
MSVC2008EE variant into a "normal user" (not developer) wireshark
directory?

when not, then why does the developer guide
(http://www.wireshark.org/docs/wsdg_html/#ChSetupWin32) suggests to
download the Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition?

thanks for an enlightenment
lukas