Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _ett_nds -> RESOLUTION

From: "CHRIS AKERS" <chris.j.akers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2008 09:32:32 +0000
Hello,

I sent this yesterday and have since found what the problem was and
figured I'd post the solution in case anyone comes up against it and
tries searching the archives.  It's a typical school-boy error but
took a bit of detecting because it wasn't immediately obvious.

Basically the problem was Python.  Due to reasons of space I've had to
move a lot of the stuff onto my D: which means changes to
config.nmake.  I'd installed Python onto the D drive and changed the
entry in config.nmake but didn't notice it was pointing to Python26
whereas I still had Python24 so it was unable to assign PYTHON.
Further down the build, when trying to compile the dissectors, the
Makefile.nmake in the epan\dissectors directory checks to see if
PYTHON is defined and, if not, renames the file packet-ncp.c to
packet-ncp.c.save and creates a fake, empty file called packet-ncp.c
(the odd files I found described in the original mail) - presumably to
get it to compile.  The comments in Makefile.nmake say this is because
you cannot compile packet-ncp without Python.  Unfortunately the
ett_nds symbol is defined in this source and this is what knocked over
the build.

To fix the issue I corrected the path in config.nmake and the build
completed.  Before rerunning the build, though, I had to get the
original packet-ncp back from SVN.

I'm under the impression that Python is pretty much a requirement for
building Wireshark so it seems odd to me that there would be a path
around it.  I would expect (and probably prefer) the build to drop out
at this point - This is the kind of Build problem that should be
immediately obvious but actually took a bit of detective work.

Many Thanks,
Chris