Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] No GPL license (and more) in GTK1 wireshark?

From: Dan Wentzel <bitspersecond@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2008 22:51:00 +0100

On Oct 15, 2008, at 10:23 PM, Jeff Morriss wrote:

Peter Fuller wrote:
The last time I sent mail, I did not get a copy and ended up spamming
the list thinking something was broken.

I've noticed on GTK1-based builds that there are missing tabs under
'About->Wireshark'.  The AUTHORS and the LICENSE tab are missing.
Also, under the Edit menu heading there is no configuration profiles
item.  I know support for GTK1 has been basically deprecated, but I
thought the wireshark executable was to have the GPLv2 license
presented when it was run?  The other items I mention only for
completeness.

I assume you mean one of the 1.0.x versions since all the GTK1 stuff has been ripped out of the 1.1 version (meaning that there are no GTK1 builds).

My 1.0.2 version (on Solaris) shows the AUTHORS and LICENSE tabs just
fine.  Are you using Windows or...?

About configuration profiles: my 1.0.2 Solaris build has those, too.

I'm using 1.0.2 on a Solaris 8. I was first alerted to the curiosity helping a satellite office with a problem. They, too are running Solaris 8, although administered differently, so there are likely slight differences in their build from mine (I use gcc4.2.1, but I'm not sure about them). Same final result, however. Building with ./configure <params> --disable-gtk2. Same thing with a second satellite office also (again, different admins), so I'm mildly shocked that it works for you
as this was sounding pretty typical for all three of us....