Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] Protocol/Field Authoritative Reference (URL)

From: "Bryant Eastham" <beastham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2008 02:11:46 -0600

All-

I had in my mind that it was possible to add links to tree items for external (URL) documentation. Now that I look, I see that I must have been mistaken. Was there ever such a feature or discussion of a feature?

I suppose the idea would be that selecting the field and some option (menu, shortcut, context menu) would open a browser to a URL associated with the field by the dissector. It could be a static part of the field definition (most likely) or even dynamic based on the particular context.

I see that there are links to the wiki for protocols, but not for fields. Further, the wiki is not the only resource available (or, horrors, the best). As someone mentioned a while ago, the wiki is more for how Wireshark works with the protocol, not (I think) to act as the authoritative reference of the protocol itself. What I propose would be a link to the authoritative reference (RFC, internal spec, whatever).

Thoughts? Would a patch to add such a feature be looked at favorably?

--

Bryant Eastham beastham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Chief Architect

Panasonic Electric Works Laboratory of America, Inc. , Salt Lake City Lab

4525 South Wasatch Blvd., Suite 100, Salt Lake City, Utah 84124

Phone : 801.993.7124  Fax: 801.993.7260

MEW Intranet: https://pewla.mew.com/slc/index.php/User:Beastham.