Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] How to check whether a plugin is installed from inside a dis

From: "Martin Mathieson" <martin.r.mathieson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 16:37:20 +0100

On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 4:20 PM, Jeff Morriss <jeff.morriss.ws@gmail.com> wrote:

smit.rastogi@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am currently trying to decode the IEEE 802.16E TLV's that WIMAXASNCP
> is unable to, and I found out that the corresponding TLV's are already
> dissected in the Intel WiMAX plugin.
>
> I have been trying to link up the two plugins so that the IEEE specified
> TLV's are dissected in WIMAXASNCP plugin using the functions available
> in the WIMAX plugin, while they still retain the necessary independence
> from each other.
>
> For this, I am thinking of decoding only if I find a given plugin
> installed.Is there any way to check from inside a dissector whether a
> plugin is installed or not?

Would find_dissector() work?

Even if you could detect that another dissector is present, could one plugin dissector access  data exported from another plugin?

Would a preferred approach be to:
- move wimaxasncp to a builtin dissector
- export its dictionary object to plugins
- add the missing TLVs into the XML file that wimaxasncp parses
- use the exported dictionary in the wimax plugin contributed by Intel ?

I don't know how much commonality there is between the TLVs seen on the air interface and those on the other interfaces (whose messages are decoded by wimaxasncp).  Also, wimaxasncp is still at  version 1.0 of the protocol - I don't know if one dictionary file could serve all interfaces and versions simultaneously (I don't really know WiMAX).

Martin