Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] Improvement to WIMAXASNCP for decoding IEEE 802.16e specified TL

Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2008 10:25:15 +0530
Hi there,

Firstly, a big thank you for your replies, especially as they were very prompt.

The find_dissector() function works perfectly, as I discovered that the Intel WiMAX plugin registers the dissector as "wmx", and therefore allows itself to be checked.

The WiMAX air interface TLV's are quite different than those implemented in WIMAXASNCP plugin. I guess the WIMAXASNCP plugin is only meant to decode those TLV's that are present in the NWG (Network Working Group) document and NOT those referred from the IEEE 802.16 air interface specification. As the TLV's have exact same structure in the NWG doc (Type: 2 bytes, Length: 2 bytes) the WIMAXASNCP plugin can decode all the TLV's in one function itself (dissect_wimaxasncp_tlvs()). However, IEEE TLV's have type as 1 byte, and length as 1 byte, which will make it tough to be decoded in WIMAXASNCP. Also the IEEE TLV's required to be decoded in the WIMAXASNCP plugin are considerably complex, and the people at Intel can probably vouch for that.

I therefore think it is inappropriate to implement the dissection of the IEEE TLV's within the WIMAXASNCP plugin.

The way we have gone about is like this...

 - Added a single decoder type to the WIMAXASNCp plugin named WIMAXASNCP_TLV_IEEE_80216
 - Added a case to the dissect_wimaxasncp_tlv_value() for the specified decoder.
 - Checked for existence of Intel WiMAX plugin
 - If the WiMAX plugin existed, called appropriate functions  fowithin the Intel WiMAX plugin.
 - If not, it decoded as hex dump (as done originally)

This provides for minimal code changes (as low as 50 lines in WIMAXASNCP and 1 line in WiMAX).

My question really is, is this approach acceptable?
In case it isn't, is it possible for anyone to guide me in the correct direction?

Thanks in Advance!
Regards
Smit Rastogi
Wipro Technologies