Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Preferences for a file format.

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 20:46:17 +0100
Florent Drouin schrieb:
    Hi,

What is the best way to save and get a preference for a file format reader ?
I would like, to define the number of records to check for the heuristic detection (and probably many more other parameters), as a configurable parameter.
But, in the wiretap directory, no one is using preferences.
Should I use the prefs_register_module(..) ?
I don't think that's currently possible.

Wiretap is the "lowest module" - so you simply cannot (or better read: at least should not) call any of the preferences functionality. This will very certainly result in a circular dependency, as epan depends on wiretap and wiretap would depend on epan, which is not possible.

As you've noted, none of the other files in wiretap uses something like preferences, and it's probably a very good idea not to start it.

Reasonable defaults are your friend here ;-)

Regards, ULFL