Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Use of EXTERNALt

From: "Graeme Lunt" <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2007 18:23:39 +0100
Anders,

> I have gotten rid of the use of EXTERNALt in a lot of dissectors (check your
> traces)
>
> But I'm not sure if it's needed for FTAM
>
> --- snip –
>
> Node-Name ::= EXTERNALt
>

> n       The type to be used for Node-Name is defined in IS08571-FADU.
>

> --- snip –
>
> Does any one have a trace with "Node-Name" in it? Or access to the spec?

The best I can do I suggest the old ISODE (ah - takes me back!) source code.
See: http://stuff.mit.edu/afs/athena/astaff/project/isode/isode-7.0/ftam/fadu.py

Ignoring the fact that ISODE didn't implement the EXTERNAL choice, I
would suggest the comment would imply that you could move to the
packet-ber EXTERNAL handling and just add some "dissect by direct
reference" code.
Then see if anyone shouts.

> RTSE should be changed to use EXTERNAL and put the callback in the asnctx…

Yep. Will do this. Having "discovered"
dissector_change_string()/dissector_reset_string() since writing the
RTSE dissector, I think I can probably get away without having to add
anything to the asnctx.

Graeme