Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Startup speed up - assembler usage

From: Stephen Fisher <stephentfisher@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2007 10:23:27 -0700
On Wed, Nov 07, 2007 at 02:20:36PM +0100, Kukosa, Tomas wrote:

> My idea is to have some code pieces written in C but optionally
> written in assembler for some OSs a CPU/platforms where it make sence.

> What dou you think about this way?

I ike the idea of speeding up load times.  However, some thoughts come
to mind on why it may not be a good idea:

 - Not all developers are good with assembly (at least I'm not;) and
   would not be able to maintain that code.
 - Users who want to verify the code is safe may be suspicious of
   assembly code they do not understand.

Steve