Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Alternative to USBPcap and Possibility of
From: Guy Harris <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2007 17:14:20 -0700
On Oct 1, 2007, at 6:01 PM, Guy Harris wrote:

On Sep 30, 2007, at 9:47 PM, Varuna De Silva wrote:

However, he doesn't have a 2.0 version; where did you find the 2.0
version?
This is where it is
http://www.pcausa.com/Utilities/UsbSnoop/default.htm

In fact its almost the same I guess, except for few neat-ups for code.
...and I don't see any license, so presumably there's no license issue
with adding it to WinPcap.
Well, no license in any obvious location in the source code
distribution.
There's a license on the Web page:

	License and Warranty
This program is provided as a service to the Windows system software development community via Printing Communications Assoc., Inc. (PCAUSA) and Benoit Papillault.
	The right to use this code in your own derivative works is granted so
long as your own derivative works include significant modifications of
your own. This product includes software developed by PCAUSA and
Benoit Papillault. The names of PCAUSA and Benoit Papillault may not
be used to endorse or promote products derived from this software
without specific prior written permission.
	Printing Communications Assoc., Inc. (PCAUSA) and Benoit Papillault
expressly disclaim any warranty.
	THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND,
EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, THE IMPLIED
WARRANTIES OF MECHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. THE
ENTIRE RISK ARISING FROM THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE REMAINS WITH YOU.
	PCAUSA's entire liability and your exclusive remedy shall not exceed
the price paid for this material. In no event shall PCAUSA or its
suppliers be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without
limitation, damages for loss of business profit, business
interruption, loss of business information, or any other pecuniary
loss) arising out of the use or inability to use this software, even
if PCAUSA has been advised of the possibility of such damages. Because
some states/jurisdictions do not allow the exclusion or limitation of
liability for consequential or incidental damages, the above
limitation may not apply to you.
I suspect "slicing out the capture code and putting it into WinPcap",
which I assume is what you have in mind, would count as "significant
modifications of [your] own".  However, I don't know what additional
restrictions that'd put on, say, somebody re-packaging WinPcap.