Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] malformed packets

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 22:47:31 -0700

brent wrote:

Im trying to locate a trouble in our network and have done a capture on a device using mirror ports of a device. We are getting MALFORMED PACKETS on every packet sent from a device on our network. IS this caused by the mirror port ? or is this a actual failure of the device ? or wireshark?

It could, in theory, be any of the above.

I'd suggest upgrading to the latest version of Wireshark:

	http://www.wireshark.org/download.html

in case it's due to a bug that's been fixed in later versions of Wireshark, and, if you still see the problem, export as plain text (with packet details and packet bytes) one of the packets that show up as a malformed frame, and also save the packet in question to a file (i.e., save it as a one-packet capture file), so we can look at the packet and see where the problem might be, and send a message to the wireshark-users list:

	http://www.wireshark.org/lists/

with the text of the packet and the one-packet capture file.