Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Jitter and Delay

From: "Isara Anantavrasilp" <isara.a@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 15:03:11 +0200

I dont really understand your situation and input and output, however,
I dont think you can get the delay from Ethereal or any one-side
monitoring tool.
You can ping the remote host and get the RTT.
Divide it by two and thats your delay.
(If you know a better way to measure it, please please tell me.)

You can, however, measure the jitter by comparing the inter-arrival
time of each packet.
Comparing the arrival time is not real delay variation (because it is
not delay that you are comparing) but it can give you the picture of
jitter.
There is a paper discussing this. Check out:
http://carmen.cselt.it/papers/iss2000-ipdv/paper/ipdv.html

Cheers,
Isara Anantavrasilp