Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Anybody know where to download MS VC 6 compiler?

From: Andrew Hood <ajhood@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2005 17:14:46 +1000
Ulf Lamping wrote:
> Andrew Hood wrote:
>
>> I had no problems *compiling* with Visual Studio .Net Professional.
>> Unless I recompile all the other stuff required (e.g. GTK) it won't
>> work. The other stuff uses VC6's dlls and that's a no-no. e.g. files
>> opened by a VC6 dll are not visible to a VC7 dll.
>>
>> Of course this might have changed. I have not tried to do it recently.
>>

> See http://wiki.ethereal.com/Development_2fMSVC7 for details and add
> info if somethings wrong :-)

I got it to build. I'm not sure if I needed .NET Framework SDK and
Platform SDK because I have "Visual Studio .Net Professional" and the
wiki is ambiguous on these. ~600MB download but they're there now.

I had problems with also having non-Cygwin versions of various tools
(i.e. Win32 native versions) which were painful.

I had to remove a number of path entries.

I had to put .exe suffixes on most program references in Makefile.nmake
and config.nmake

ActiveState perl kept falling over (some DLL clash?) so I had to force
it to use Cygwin perl.

If I can figure out what I had to change from what's on the wiki I'll
report it.

                -- Dr. Who