Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Has anyone gotten remote WinPcap captures to work with Ethe

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 22:27:19 +0200
Chris Benco wrote:

>Something based on this.
>
>http://www.winpcap.org/docs/man/html/group__remote__help.html
>
>I would like to be able to capture packets on my remote networks and
>analyze them locally with Ethereal.  It looks like it's possible, but I
>can't find any reference to anyone making it work, or exactly how to do it
>with Ethereal.
>
>I know I need to install the driver and get the daemon running on the
>remote machines.  But how do I trigger the capture, and then get that
>information into my local Ethereal?  All remote machines are running
>Windows 2k Pro.
>
>I'm assuming there is something basic I'm missing because of my lack of
>expertise with Ethereal itself.  If anyone can point me in the right
>direction I'd be happy to do the rest of the leg work.

I've tried to bring this to life, but with the current Ethereal 0.10.11
/ WinPcap 3.1 beta 4 implementation it simply won't work.

Have a look at:

http://wiki.ethereal.com/CaptureSetup_2fWinPcapRemote

for an explanation what you had to do and why it's currently not working.

I'll might have a look to fix this till the next release, but can't
promise as the probable fix might raise other problems.

Regards, ULFL