Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Fedora Core 2

From: "Guy Harris" <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 15:11:36 -0800 (PST)
Breen Mullins said:
> On Thu, 2004-12-16 at 14:43 -0800, Guy Harris wrote:
>> The packaging/rpm/SPECS/ethereal.spec.in file in the Ethereal source has
>>
>>     Requires:       gtk2
>>     Requires:       libpcap openssl
>>
>> Does that cause an Ethereal RPM to depend on the versions of gtk2,
>> libpcap, and openssl on the system on which the RPM was built - and not
>> to support any later versions?
>
> That means that the requirement will be satisfied by any version of
> packages with those names.

OK, so that sounds as if it means that packages built with that spec file
(or from the spec file generated from that spec.in file) should *NOT*
generate any "sorry, you need libpcap-0.6.2" errors - it should only
generate errors if you don't have libpcap at all.

Is that the case?

If so, then that seems to indicate that the RPMs people are installing
aren't being built with that spec file.