Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Fedora Core 2

From: "Guy Harris" <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 14:43:52 -0800 (PST)
Stephen Youndt said:
> You can specify dependency operators in the RPM spec file.  I've seen
> stuff like
> Requires: glib >= 2.2
> BuildRequires: XFree86-devel >= 1.1

The packaging/rpm/SPECS/ethereal.spec.in file in the Ethereal source has

    Requires:       gtk2
    Requires:       libpcap openssl

Does that cause an Ethereal RPM to depend on the versions of gtk2,
libpcap, and openssl on the system on which the RPM was built - and not to
support any later versions?

If so, do you have to change that to, for example, something such as

    Requires: libpcap >= 0.4

to have it work with 0.4 and later?

The actual version value would probably have to be the value on the
platform on which it was built, as the configure script will configure
Ethereal to use at least some features of libpcap not present in older
versions if they're present on the system on which Ethereal is being
built.  Is there any way to specify something such as

    Requires: libpcap >=
the_version_on_the_system_on_which_this_is_being_built

to handle that automatically?  Or could that be done by somehow having the
configure script get that version using the "rpm" command and make it an
autoconf variable such as LIBPCAP_RPM_VERSION, and have the
ethereal.spec.in file have

    Requires: libpcap >= @LIBPCAP_RPM_VERSION@

so that the generated ethereal.spec file has the version appropriate for
the system on which the RPM is being built?