Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Fedora Core 2

From: Stephen Youndt <syoundt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 16:39:57 -0500
You can specify dependency operators in the RPM spec file. I've seen stuff like
Requires: glib >= 2.2
BuildRequires: XFree86-devel >= 1.1

If you really must install from the binary rpm, use --nodeps. It's not ideal, but if you can't modify the spec and rebuild it's your only choice.

Cheers!
Stephen

Guy Harris wrote:

Warburton Nick wrote:

I'm installing Ethereal 10.0a on Fedora Core 2 and get the following
message:
"libpcap.so.0.6.2 is needed by ethereal-base-0.10.0a-1.RH9"

when I do a "rpm -qa |grep libpcap" on my machine, I get :
libpcap-0.8.3-6.FC2.1
Does this mean that I need to install an older version of libpcap?

No, it means you need to install an OS whose dependency system lets you specify that package X depends not on a specific version of another package, but that it works with a specific version *or any later version* of that package.

I don't know what OSes with a package system that supports that type of dependency. Perhaps there's some way of setting up such a dependency in RPM; if so, we'd appreciate it if somebody'd tell us what it is, because it's really bogus to have an Ethereal package that can only be installed with the version of libpcap with which it's built. (Perhaps a newer version of Ethereal - the current version is 0.10.8 - would have different dependencies.)

There might be a flag to the rpm program to tell it not to quit just because it can't find some particular version of libpcap; if so, you might try that flag.