Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] tethereal -q option question

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 15:49:21 -0700
jim schulze wrote:

I've tried the following line-

ex.
tethereal -q -r testing.cap -z io,stat,.5,ip.src==10.2.177.0

and it crashes on WinXP everytime.

That was a bug for which I've just checked in a fix.

On FreeBSD the -q option simply
doesn't seem to do anything.

"Doesn't seem to do anything" in the sense that it doesn't suppress the packet information from being printed, or "doesn't seem to do anything" in the sense that if you use "-q" *Tethereal* doesn't seem to do anything, i.e. it doesn't even print the statistics?

Having fixed the bug I referred to above, it seems to work - it prints the statistics but not the packets.

I'm running WinXP sp2
(ethereal/tethereal 10.6) as well as FreeBSD 4.10 (ethereal/tethereal
10.3)

0.10.6 had the bug in question, 0.10.3 didn't, which is why no crash on FreeBSD - it's not WXP vs. FBSD, it's 0.10.6 vs. 0.10.3.

There might've been bugs in 0.10.3 that caused whatever the "doesn't seem to do anything" problem.