Ethereal-users: [Ethereal-users] tethereal -q option question

From: jim schulze <jim.schulze@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 13:56:27 -0400
I am interested in reviewing per interval (i.e. 1 second intervals)
statistics for a host ip address, however I'd prefer to not see all
the of the packets from the file being read on my screen.  My
understanding is that the -q and -z options are what I'm looking for.

I've tried the following line-

ex.
tethereal -q -r testing.cap -z io,stat,.5,ip.src==10.2.177.0

and it crashes on WinXP everytime.  On FreeBSD the -q option simply
doesn't seem to do anything.   I'm running WinXP sp2
(ethereal/tethereal 10.6) as well as FreeBSD 4.10 (ethereal/tethereal
10.3)

I've tried moving the -q switch around and nothing works.  If I omit
the -q, the input file packets are dumped to the screen and the
statistics are generated, as expected.  If I omit the -q and -r,

ex.
tethereal -q -z io,stat,.5,ip.src==10.2.177.0

the capture runs locally then when I ^c the stats display on the
screen, as expected.   However when reading large capture files, I
don't need to see all of the packets, just the statistics.

My understanding of the -q switch is that it supresses displaying the
read file packets on the screen.  Am I misunderstanding something,
doing something wrong, or is this some sort of bug?  I've googled and
searched the archives to no avail.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.