Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Building Ethereal 0.9.4 on FreeBSD 4.6-RELEASE

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 15:38:27 -0700
On Wed, Jun 26, 2002 at 05:35:24PM -0500, Aron Silverton wrote:
> I rm -rf'ed the directory I was working in and started over
> from the 0.9.4 tarball with my glib-conf and gtk-conf commands properly
> aliased.  This time it worked,

This may just be another consequence of caching in a world where there's
no complete cache invalidation mechanism.

Configure scripts tend to cache some information; unfortunately, this
means that if the world changed out from under the script, re-running
the script doesn't necessarily change the answer, so you have to discard
the cached information, e.g. by running "make distclean".

Blowing away the entire directory and starting from scratch would also
do the trick.