Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Building Ethereal 0.9.4 on FreeBSD 4.6-RELEASE

From: "Aron Silverton" <ajs@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 16:00:08 -0500

Guy Harris wrote:

On Wed, Jun 26, 2002 at 03:32:49PM -0500, Aron Silverton wrote:

I am trying to build Ethereal 0.9.4 on a FreeBSD 4.6-RELEASE system with Gnome 2.

GNOME 2 implies GLib 2.x and GTK+ 2.x; Ethereal currently requires
1.2[.x] in both cases.

I had 0.9.3 working from the ports collection, but I am rebuilding to use libpcap 0.7.1.

Are you rebuilding from ports-collection source? If so I'd suggest
downloading 0.9.4 source from ethereal.com instead, and building that;
it's not as Ethereal needs tweaking to make it build on FreeBSD (most of
the Ethereal builds *I* do are at home on FreeBSD 3.4, from current CVS
source, and most of the rest are at work on SPARC Solaris - this isn't
some "all the world's a PC running Linux" program that needed to be
tweaked to work anywhere else).

I am building from the 0.9.4 source from ethereal.com.

When running configure for Ethereal, the first problem is that it complained about glib-config which I don't have. I did a %s/glib-config/glib12-config on the configure script and that problem went away.

Have you installed GLib 1.2[.x] - including the developer's package? If
so, complain to whoever packaged up the 1.2[.x] developer's package that
they really should install make "glib-config" an alias for
"glib12-config", so that the standard GLib 1.2[.x] autoconf stuff will
work.

I'm not sure what all got built. GTK and GLIB would have been built either when I built Gnome or Ethereal 0.9.3 as dependencies. Both were built from the ports collection. I guess aliasing them would be better then editing every configure script that depends on them.

Now when I run configure, I can't get it to build Ethereal. It builds everything else. I've tried the command line flag --enable-ethereal and it still does not work. Any suggestions?

See previous item, and replace "glib" with "gtk"; it's probably not
finding GTK+, either.

I took care of the glib12 and gtk12 issue, but I still have the same problem. Some digging around the system showed that I have:

libglib12.* in /usr/local/lib
libgtk12.*  in /usr/X11R6/lib

glib12-config in /usr/local/bin
gtk12-config  in /usr/X11R6/bin

If configure can find this stuff, shouldn't it work at this point? Perhaps I am passing the paths to configure incorrectly, but it does not seem to complaining about anthing.