Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Building Ethereal 0.9.4 on FreeBSD 4.6-RELEASE

From: "Aron Silverton" <ajs@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 17:35:24 -0500
Guy Harris wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 26, 2002 at 04:56:05PM -0500, Aron Silverton wrote:
> > >         glib-config --cflags
> >
> >           -I/usr/local/include/glib12
> >
> > >         glib-config --libs
> >
> >           -L/usr/local/lib -lglib12
> >
> > >         gtk-config --cflags
> >
> >           -I/usr/X11R6/include/glib12 -I/usr/local/glib12
> >           -I/usr/local/include -I/usr/X11R6/include
> >
> > >         gtk-config --libs
> >
> >           -L/usr/X11R6/lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lgtk12 -lgdk12
> >           -L/usr/local/lib -Wl,-E -lgmodule12 -lglib12 -lintl
> >           -lXext -lX11 -lm
>
> Well, those seem to work, so you'll have to look at the output of the
> configure script, and the "config.log" file that it should leave in the
> top-level Ethereal source directory, and figure out what it doesn't
> like.
>
> (Or give up on the ports collection entirely, and just download GLib
> 1.2[.x] and GTK+ 1.2[.x] source from www.gtk.org, configure, build, and
> install them, and just use that version instead.
>
> >From what you're reporting, there appear to be some signs of fragility
> in the ports stuff - fragility of the "stuff from the ports collection
> only works with other stuff from the ports collection, and stuff not
> from the ports collection doesn't work with stuff from the ports
> collection" sort.)

Yes, I have had similar problems in the past with other programs built
from ports, but there always seems to be a way around it as there was
this time.  I rm -rf'ed the directory I was working in and started over
from the 0.9.4 tarball with my glib-conf and gtk-conf commands properly
aliased.  This time it worked, Ethereal was built correctly using the
libpcap in /usr/local/lib and I am happily looking at beacon frames as
we speak.  It's possible that I touched something I didn't mean to touch
in the configure script when I initially tried to change the glib- and
gtk-config commands to glib12- and gtk12-.

Thanks for the help,

Aron