Ethereal-users: [Ethereal-users] Ethereal 8.18, Unable to build with SNMP on RH 7.1 because ./co

From: Ron Flory <ron.flory@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2001 08:41:50 -0500
hi folks-

 I know this issue has come up before, but I've never seen a resolution.

 On two different x86 Linux systems (one an upgrade to RH 7.1, the other
a fresh install of RH 7.1), the Ethereal 'configure' script reports that
the library function 'sprint_objid' is not present, then aborts.

 I've looked into this, and 'sprint_objid' IS present.  First, the libs
are:

'ls /usr/lib/libsnmp* -l' (filtered)

-rwxr-xr-x 352414 Apr 6 10:15 libsnmp-0.4.2.so
lrwxrwxrwx     16 Jul 4 08:42 libsnmp.so.0 -> libsnmp-0.4.2.so
lrwxrwxrwx     16 Jul 4 08:42 libsnmp.so.0.4.2 -> libsnmp-0.4.2.so

 and the output of 'nm libsnmp.so.0 | grep sprint_objid' is:

0000d570 t _sprint_objid
0000d8d0 T sprint_objid

 So clearly, the function IS present in the SNMP libs.

 Am I missing something obvious here, or are the autoconf detection
methods simply confused until the next Ethereal release ?

 If this is an easy fix, perhaps the solution could be posted to the
Ethereal FAQ, so it doesn't have to be adressed again and again.

 Thanks-

ron