Ethereal-users: Re: [ethereal-users] RHAT 6.2 & UCD SNMP 4.1.1

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 3 May 2000 10:52:26 -0700
> Has anyone found a way to work around or fix this problem?

The way to work around it is in the FAQ item you cite:

> Either install UCD SNMP 4.0[.x] on your system, or download source code and
> built from source;

The way to fix it is either to

	1) change Ethereal to stop using UCD SNMP as an assistant when
	   dissecting SNMP (there's a patch to use the libsmi library;
	   there's still some work I'd like to see done on that, and
	   I'll gather up the issues and reply to the mail containing
	   the patch)

or

	2) wait for the next release of UCD SNMP (which I think will
	   bring back the routine that got turned into a macro) to come
	   out and wait for all OSes that bundled 4.1.1 to bundle the
	   new release - but that doesn't help people who have the
	   existing releases, unless Red Hat and company provide
	   updates, or users of the releases in question are willing to
	   install the new UCD SNMP release by themselves.

One issue with 1) is the risk that OSes might bundle libsmi binaries and
that libsmi's ABI could change; I think there were changes between
libsmi 0.1 and libsmi 0.2 that broke source and probably binary
compatibility (this issue came up in the tcpdump-workers list), but

	1) I don't know whether any OSes bundle libsmi

and

	2) I don't know if they expect to make binary-incompatible
	   changes to the ABI in the future.