Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Lua autofoo stuff - please test

From: Joerg Mayer <jmayer@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 02:20:12 +0100
On Mon, Jan 30, 2006 at 07:22:58PM +0100, LEGO wrote:
> - I had to do some changes  to get it work (and good news, I finally
> grasped something about autofoo's mechanics).

 :-)

> I'll attach the current version of the lua autofoo pacth, It some
> trivial fixes and some more checks.

Only some general comments on the patch about things I noticed when I
diffed my diff against yours:

- Interesting, how many mistakes I managed to put into the patch...
and it even compiled on my system (with lua).
- Please use real TABS in acinclude and configure patches. Your current
patch just breaks indentation in these files when used with the only
standard tabwidth (8). Using Spaces instead of TABs is not even allowed
at the beginning of lines of makefiles (it will break on older make
implementations). That's why I changed the whitespace in the Makefile.am
(which you kept in your version of the patch - it's just a general
remark).
- I'm not really sure that you really need to check as thoroughly as you
currently do - if someone has a partial/invalid installation of lua,
they just might fail and fix their installation ;) - but that's a matter
of taste. What I don't like ist the check for the exact version. That's
not the spirit of autofoo: We check for the availablility of
features/functions, not versions. Are you sure your code won't work with
lua 5.0.1 or 5.0 or 4.x? What happens when 5.0.3 is released? How about
skipping that check for now and wait for break reports?

> Can you test it and tell me whether the built binary actually works?

It dowsn't even build on my system: It looks like the addition of lualib
added some depenency on -lm or something like this...

/usr/lib/liblualib.so: undefined reference to `log'
/usr/lib/liblualib.so: undefined reference to `sqrt'
/usr/lib/liblualib.so: undefined reference to `fmod'
/usr/lib/liblualib.so: undefined reference to `cos'
/usr/lib/liblualib.so: undefined reference to `sin'
/usr/lib/liblualib.so: undefined reference to `atan2'
/usr/lib/liblualib.so: undefined reference to `pow'
/usr/lib/liblualib.so: undefined reference to `log10'
/usr/lib/liblualib.so: undefined reference to `exp'
/usr/lib/liblualib.so: undefined reference to `tan'
/usr/lib/liblualib.so: undefined reference to `atan'
/usr/lib/liblualib.so: undefined reference to `asin'
/usr/lib/liblualib.so: undefined reference to `acos'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

Also, I don't have any sample testcode, or how was I to check whether it
actually works?

Good night
   Joerg