Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Re: [Ethereal-cvs] rev 17086: /trunk/plugins/lua/lua-5.0.2/do

Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 11:34:12 +0100
On 1/24/06, Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx> wrote:
> lego@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > User: lego
> > Date: 2006/01/23 05:31 PM
> >
> > Log:
> >  Add lua-5.0.2
> >
> Is this really such a good idea?
I do not think we will find lua.la present in many systems.

> We don't do it with all the other libraries we use, so there might be
> reasons not to so ...
With a some help from others I could add a --with-lua option to
./configure but we will then have yet another library dependency which
means that on unix people will have to install lua by thenselves to
have it enabled.

Been the statically linked plugin just ~ 300K I thought It would be
fine to just have it in.

> While the lua dir is not very huge now (~1,5MB incl. .svn files), will
> it grow in the future?
No, the lua-5.0.2 directory shouldn't.
The other files I do plan to change so at every revision so it will
grow (just a little).

> Will frequent updates significantly blow the size of "our" subversion
> repository?
I think there aren't going to be much updates to 5.0.2, lua-5.1 when
release will be in another directory and then this will be removed.

> Will it conflict with an installed lua instance? Packages are available
> on Debian and certainly other platforms as well ...

No, the plugin is statically linked.
The linker should use that one, directories given with -L are serached
before standard locations.

Once compiled the plugin is about 300K includng the interpreter.

> As a Win32 developer, I'm used to get the libraries in binary form (with
> source available, but don't need to recompile), see
> http://anonsvn.ethereal.com/ethereal-win32-libs/trunk/packages/.

I could find http://luaforge.net/frs/download.php/650/lua5_0_Win32_bin.tar.gz .
But that would mean having conditional compilation under unix where we
do not realy know whether lua is going to be.

> I do believe this isn't a good idea to do it differently than all the
> other libs ...

As I said before, been this a relativelly small library that does not
need ./configure as it builds seamlessly on almost every platform  and
the statically linked plugin is just ~ 300K I thought It would be fine
to just have it in.

Still we could add a --with-lua option to configure and change the
Makefiles for conditional compilation of the lua system. I'll need
help for that as every time I've tried to change the auto-stuff I
have obtained just  failures.

Luis

-- Marshall McLuhan