Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] New preferences named "userxx.payload" and alike really needs

Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 19:14:46 +0200
I'll take care of that...

On 7/21/05, Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx> wrote:
> I've noticed that someone has added a lot of new Preferences since the 0.10.11 release with the name pattern: "userxx.yyy", e.g. "user1.payload".

I put in the packet-user_encap.c  as a way to decode unencapsulated
protocols (like packet dumps taken from logs) without making a fake
encapsulation for them.

> IMHO this name is a little bit too generic. How about renaming it to "user_encapxx.yyy" or "user_encap_dltxx.yyy" or something like that, so you'll get an idea where this preference is really coming from.

point taken

> In general there are 15*6 = 90 new Preferences which may slow down Ethereal startup and make the Preferences file larger and harder to edit by hand. Is it really necessary to have such a "huge" amount of them?!?

I agree that having 6 items for each off the 16 is too much so I'll
keep just 3 out of 16 and add the DLT to be used to the preferences of
those 3 left.

> The comments of these settings have to be improved.[...snip...]
> IMHO this isn't very intuitive...
> Typos: E.g. there are three different ways the word "encapsulation" is printed in the file :-(
I'll fix them.

> BTW: where are these Preferences used at all? They don't seem to be used in the Preferences dialog.

they are used under the DLT_USERXX tabs...

L.