Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Another documentation patch

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2005 01:17:25 +0200
Mike Duigou wrote:

> A couple of months back when I started with Ethereal I asked the
> question; contribute to the EDG or to the various README files?
>
> At that time the suggestion was that the focus of enhancement should
> continue to be the README files.
>
> So far I've contributed a few pieces and edits to the READMEs but
> nothing to the EDG.
>
> Have various people's thoughts changed in the last couple of months as
> to where new/updated writing should be directed? I'm personally a fan
> of DocBook and would like to see the EDG eventually become the
> programmer's reference of choice.
>
> Thoughts, opinions, flames?

Hi Mike!

Yes, I remember that discussion, the question was about how to provide
new content.

While I was working on the EUG and the EDG, I got almost no
contributions ("only" some review comments but no real enhancements) to
the work I've done. So this seemed to be a dead end to me. As I wanted
to work more on the code again after spending *several* weeks bringing
the docbook to a new foundation, other's only contributed to the README's.

At the time you asked (and I was asking similar before), there were only
a few opinions. Most of them to stuck on the "old" README's, so there's
really diverted opinion about this.

As Julian started to provide content to the EDG, I thought that it would
be a shame to just throw it all away. If we can get two or three persons
to bring a good EDG to life, I will be happy as I tend to agree that
this should be the way to go.

However, I'm still a bit concerned about maintenance. Writing new docs
can be fun (at least in a way) but maintaining old docs is usually
simply a pain.

Regards, ULFL