Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Reproducible crash in stats_tree.c (HTTP)

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2005 10:43:15 -0800
Ulf Lamping wrote:

In a debug build, MSVC fills in a specific memory pattern (e.g.
0xfeeefeee) to enable a developer to track down this kind of problems,
where memory is accessed which was freed already before.

... so Windows might not be that bad at all ;-)

	http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Performance/Conceptual/ManagingMemory/Tasks/MallocDebug.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/20001884/CJBJFIDD

"Table 1 :  Malloc environment variables

Variable          Description

MallocScribble If set, free sets each byte of every released block to the value 0x55.

	..."

I think you might have to run the application under MallocDebug, as that might interpose the -lMallocDebug library and the environment variables might only be interpreted by the malloc() in -lMallocDebug.

I don't know whether other UN*Xes offer similar options.