Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] ERTSP: Ethereal's RemoTe Sniffing Protocol

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 10:21:07 -0800
ronnie sahlberg wrote:

tehtereal -w- | tethereal -r-
does not work since tehtereal seems to want seek on the input file for
some reason.

It wants to determine the file type, which is done by trying to read it as various file types.

If Wiretap buffered data internally, so that backward seeks to the beginning of the file could be implemented by going back to the beginning of the buffer (as long as no more data than fits in the buffer had been read from the file), Tethereal could read from a pipe.

The "-i -" trick works because, in that case, it assumes the file is in standard libpcap format, rather than trying to determine the file type.