Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] ERTSP: Ethereal's RemoTe Sniffing Protocol

From: Lars Roland <lars.roland@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 11:01:09 +0100
I've had recently a look at the rpcap documentation. It looks like it can authenticate requests using a login and a password. However, ethereal doesn't support this authentication scheme. We would have to rewrite the windows version of ethereal's capture dialog, using winpcap's new api. It would be good, if the libpcap and winpcap developers could agree on a common api for this.

Regarding Luis' idea of using display filters on the remote site, perhaps tethereal can be used for that. Can tethereal write the captured file to a pipe? Then a perl script running on the remote host (the ERTSP server) could take the capture file from tethereal and send it to the local client.

ronnie sahlberg schrieb:
i belive  rpcap takes a pcap style capture filter which it applies
locally before transmitting all packets that passes across to the
capture client.

problem is that rpcap is totally insecure and can not be used in any
production environments for that reason.
adding an authentication phase with some simple mechanism such as chap
should not be too difficult.