Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Limitations of Ethereal capture command line parameters (inco

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 18:53:20 -0800
Ulf Lamping wrote:

1.) the (Win32 specific) "Buffer size: x megabyte(s)" parameter can't be set (maybe adding a new -W option?)

In WinDump (and perhaps, once I do the next-generation libpcap open API,
in tcpdump as well - the problem is that, in BPF, you can't set the
buffer size once an interface is bound to a BPF device, and that's done
when you open, so you can't set the buffer size after you've opened a
device), that's done with a "-B" option.

In Ethereal, unfortunately, that currently sets the byte view size.  I
think we now remember the sizes of panes in the recent file (and, if we
don't, we probably should) - are the "-B" and "-P" options still useful?
 If they are, we might want to replace them with different options,
such as a single option that takes a comma-separated list of
"pane-name=pane-size" or something such as that.