Ethereal-dev: [Ethereal-dev] Limitations of Ethereal capture command line parameters (incompat

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 23:53:34 +0100
Hi List!

While having a look at the Ethereal command line parameters, I'd realized that some thing's that can be done using the capturing GUI aren't possible with the command line, see http://www.ethereal.com/docs/user-guide/ChCustCommandLine.html for explanations in the User's Guide.

That's a problem as I'm going to use these parameters in the upcoming seperated capture child program for privilege seperation (and I would like to share the code of command line parameter parsing).

... and of course it limits the possibilities of Ethereal's command line :-(

The things I've recognized missing (have a look at the capture options dialog for a better understanding):

1.) the (Win32 specific) "Buffer size: x megabyte(s)" parameter can't be set (maybe adding a new -W option?) 2.) the number of files after stop capturing "Stop capture after x file(s)" can't be set (adding a "files" suboption to -a ?), BTW: this is not identical to the number of ringbuffer files! 3.) in order to set the duration of a ringbuffer file "Next file every x minute(s)", you must set the ringbuffer option, but today these two are independant (maybe add "file_duration" to -a and remove duration from ringbuffer option?)

I would think that 1.) and 2.) are easy, but 3.) would end up in having two ways to set the same duration value (ugly), or remove the -b duration option from the command line (which would be incompatible with previous versions, however I would prefer that one).

What do other's think?

Regards, ULFL