Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] ethereal.conf vs. preferences

From: Graeme Hewson <ghewson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2005 20:18:49 +0000
Ulf Lamping wrote:
Graeme Hewson wrote:

The User's Guide and the About dialog say the global settings file is called "preferences", but the ethereal and tethereal man pages say it's called "ethereal.conf"; the man pages are correct.

That's explained easily, as I've written both the User's Guide and the About dialog, but not the man pages. I was assuming that there are differences between unix and windows, as I didn't had a reference at hand (or at least didn't thought about the manpage) while writing these documentation, and I've never used the "ethereal.conf" file at all.

Is there a reason that different names are used for these two files? I know this schema as the global/local/command line preferences from other programs and I think it's quite powerful and easy to understand. However, I'd expected to have the global and local files have the same name. Is this a usual behvaiour that these two filenames differ?

I've fixed the "User's Guide" the way it currently is.

Sorry, I didn't have time yesterday to expand on my comment. I meant no implied criticism of the User's Guide, and if you recall, I did some proof-reading of it.

The reason for the different names is in this message from Guy in 2000:

I went with

	3) "${sysconfdir}/ethereal.conf" as the global preferences file
	   - "${sysconfdir}" is typically an "etc" directory, and
	   "preferences" is too generic a name, as there might be a
	   collision with some other program's file - and
	   "~/.ethereal/preferences" as the user's preference file.

However, I'd like to see the same name for the local and global files too. These days, the global files are typically in /usr/local/share/ethereal, so I don't think Guy's comment is valid any more. For compatibility, if ethereal.conf is present in the global directory it would be used, and if both ethereal.conf and preferences are present, the latter would be used, I suggest.

I would like to get the description as accurate as possible, but got a little bit lack of knowledge, so you might be able to help me here. I've put an updated "User's Guide" at the wiki, at http://wiki.ethereal.com/Development
so please comment...

I think there's still more work to do on both the guide and the man pages:

- It's one thing to use $HOME to refer to the user's home directory, but how do we refer to the global directory, when there's no environment variable for it, and it's an installation option? Should we call it a "global directory" at all, or something else? Would ${sysconfdir} be understandable as shorthand, or perhaps <global>?

- Is it really the case that there's no support for a global disabled_protos file?

- The man pages don't mention dfilters.

- Should the Ethereal man page mention cfilters under "FILES" as well as Windows/Save?

- other things?