Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] ethereal.conf vs. preferences

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 16:13:11 -0800
Graeme Hewson wrote:

The reason for the different names is in this message from Guy in 2000:

I went with

    3) "${sysconfdir}/ethereal.conf" as the global preferences file
       - "${sysconfdir}" is typically an "etc" directory, and
       "preferences" is too generic a name, as there might be a
       collision with some other program's file - and
       "~/.ethereal/preferences" as the user's preference file.

However, I'd like to see the same name for the local and global files too. These days, the global files are typically in /usr/local/share/ethereal, so I don't think Guy's comment is valid any more.

It's not. The configuration files for Ethereal were moved out of ${sysconfdir} since then.

- The man pages don't mention dfilters.

Yes, they do (well, "it does", not "they do" - Tethereal uses neither cfilters nor dfilters):

 The personal capture filters file, in $HOME/.ethereal/cfilters on UNIX-
 compatible systems, and %APPDATA%\Ethereal\cfilters (or, if %APPDATA%
 isn't defined, %USERPROFILE%\Application Data\Ethereal\cfilters) on
 Windows systems, and the personal display filters file, in $HOME/.ethe-
 real/dfilters on UNIX-compatible systems, and %APPDATA%\Ethereal\dfil-
 ters (or, if %APPDATA% isn't defined, %USERPROFILE%\Application
 Data\Ethereal\dfilters) on Windows systems, contain personal capture
 and display filters, respectively.

- Should the Ethereal man page mention cfilters under "FILES" as well as Windows/Save?

It *does* mention them - see above.