Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] ethereal.conf vs. preferences

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2005 23:19:06 +0100
Graeme Hewson wrote:

Sorry, I didn't have time yesterday to expand on my comment. I meant no implied criticism of the User's Guide, and if you recall, I did some proof-reading of it.

No problem, we're not in a hurry ;-)

I think there's still more work to do on both the guide and the man pages:

- It's one thing to use $HOME to refer to the user's home directory, but how do we refer to the global directory, when there's no environment variable for it, and it's an installation option? Should we call it a "global directory" at all, or something else? Would ${sysconfdir} be understandable as shorthand, or perhaps <global>?

Do you mean that dir I called "/etc"? I tend to use <global>, but which files are "using it" for the unix versions? I would guess the same way as windows uses the %ETHEREAL% dir, but I'm unsure.

- Is it really the case that there's no support for a global disabled_protos file?

That feature was added in Revision 9538 in Jan 2004, maybe after I've written my first version of the guide? I've checked in a fix.

- The man pages don't mention dfilters.

I don't like editing (and even read) the man pages at all, so I didn't updated it :-( I didn't added the dfilters file at all, it was there a long time before I started Ethereal. However, it should be added.

- Should the Ethereal man page mention cfilters under "FILES" as well as Windows/Save?

Sorry, I don't understand you here.

- other things?

Maybe ;-)

Regards, ULFL