Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] GSM Decoding

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 10:52:27 -0700
Greg de Haas wrote:

I'm interested in using the GSM DTAP and GPRS decoding capabilities of
ethereal inside my own products
Obviously problems with GPL licencing come to mind immediately

Are the separate protocol 'decoders' provided in some sort of pluggable
form?

Not in most cases - and even the ones that are are provided as something to be plugged into Ethereal.

And is there some way of using that separate from ethereal?

Not conveniently, other than writing your own application to use libethereal. You'd have to do your own work to fit it into your application otherwise.

And in those circumstances, what are the licencing implications at that
level ?

If you link our GPLed code into your application, your application must be GPLed. No exceptions. Using them separately from the rest of Ethereal would make no difference.