Ethereal-dev: [Ethereal-dev] "Save As" problem, please test some more dialogs!

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 18:46:24 +0200
Hi List!

To anyone reported problems with the "Save As" dialog.

It seems that my checkin fixed the problem.

Some info on the problem and my workaround:

It seems, that (some?) X servers don't like reporting any geometry values from a currently hidden GDK window. As Win32 don't use an X server I could not reproduce the problem.

As the "Save As" dialog is hidden before trying to save a file, we running into that problem. All other Ethereal windows (incl. dialogs) are not hidden at all, so no problem with them. The Save As dialog is hidden, because if something fails while saving the file, it's simply shown again containing the values like before.

The reason I did a change was, that I wanted a general way to keep the geometry of a window/dialog box (size and position), so it will be placed and sized the same way (especially sized is useful), when it's reopened again.

Well, but when Ethereal tries to get that geometry values from the hidden "Save As" dialog, the crash happens.

The thing I checked in isn't really fixing the problem, as it just won't try to get that geometry values from a currently hidden window.

There is a drawback: it will *not* save the geometry of that "Save As" dialog as described above.

As I'm currently unsure if this fixes all bugs in that way, could anyone reported problems, please play around with the GUI and report any other dialogs making problems that way.

Regards, ULFL