Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] RTCP: Calculating roundtrip-propagation delay

From: "Jim Young" <SYSJHY@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 13:23:47 -0400
>>> thomas.anders@xxxxxxxxxxxxx 2004-09-15 10:44:43 >>>
>> Martin Mathieson wrote:
>> I've written this patch to use the 'Delay since last SR' (DLSR)
field found
>> in SR reports to calculate and report roundtrip-propagation delays.
[...]
> The description sounds reasonable and the feature looks quite
useful.
> I strongly vote for applying this patch to enable people to play with
it.

I'd like to second Thomas's nomination for applying this patch.

I would suggest that this value might be documented/referred to as
the "relative roundtrip-propagation delay" to nail down the idea that
this value is based on the point-of-view of the observer (e.g. the
location from where the capturing device was positioned in the
network).

Ultimately it should prove very interesting to compare these values
taken from several concurrently made traces from differing vantage
points within the network, especially if there are divergent ingress
and
egress routes between the two end-points, e.g. asymmetrical
routes.

Jim Young