Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] TCAP: how to register for arbitrary list of SSNs?

From: "Guy Harris" <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2004 12:59:03 -0700 (PDT)
Jeff Morriss said:
> The fact that the TCAP dissector only registers for SSNs 5-12 has
> bothered me for some time though I have never really thought of the best
> way to fix it.
>
> Ideally, it should be possible for the TCAP dissector to register for
> any SCCP/SUA SSN (2-254) though I can't think of a good way to do that

A preference that gives a list of SSNs?

We should probably add a new preference type for ranges; the syntax of a
range would probably be the same as we have for packet ranges, i.e. a
comma-separated list of numerical values or numerical value subranges.
(In fact, we could probably use some of the code in "range.c" for this,
e.g. "packet_range_convert_str()"; we'd probably want to separate the code
that knows about "ranges" in the sense of a specification of a subset of
[0,UINT_MAX] from the code that knows about "packet ranges", with all the
counts and notion of "selected" and "marked" - i.e., turn the

    /* user specified range(s) */
    guint           nranges;        /* number of entries in ranges (0
based) */
    range_admin_t   ranges[MaxRange];

stuff in "packet_range_t" into a type of its own, and put an object of
that type into a "packet_range_t".)

That could be used in the ASN.1 plugin as well, as it already has a
mechanism for specifying port ranges.