Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Problem building guide

From: Joerg Mayer <jmayer@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2004 23:18:10 +0200
On Wed, Aug 04, 2004 at 06:54:31PM +0200, Ulf Lamping wrote:
> You might first read Readme.txt which will tell you to use appropriate
> settings in both files.

That was a very valuable hint :-) Actually, I read it when you first committed
this stuff, understood nothing and forgot about it again.

> well, if fop is in your path, that should be working pretty well. As
> it's not in mine (and fop is not installable directly through cygwin),
> I've choosen to hard code the path where to find it on my system.

Acutally, due to a bug in the fop.sh script, that is triggered only by
accessing that file via a link, the error below was triggered. Hardcoding
the absolut path of the fop.sh script made me get past the CLASSPATH problem.

> Sorry, don't get the point. Which shell scripts do you mean?

fop.sh vs. fop.bat, but as I understand things now, it's basically what you
use in your cygwin environment? Btw, is this necessary or does the fop.sh
script work too?

> >And after a) finding the correct path for docbook-xsl and
> >b) changing catalog.xml and Makefile to use that path and
> >
> ...as mentioned in the Readme.txt...

Yes - and, btw, I found the wrong one first, as I learned later.

> Maybe something to do with the CLASSPATH or such, but I'm unsure.

Yes, see above.

So, the hardest part was to read the README.txt :)
The second hardest proved to be finding the correct value for docbook-xsl.
The third hardest was get fop running (don't use fop, use the full path to
the real script).
All other problems turned trivial by following your instructions. I may
update the README.txt, Makefile and catalog.xml these days with comments
regarding Suse 9.1 - and maybe the beginnings of some autofoo stuff regarding
this issue.

Thanks again
       Joerg