Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Problem building guide

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2004 07:51:15 +0200
Joerg Mayer wrote:

On Wed, Aug 04, 2004 at 06:54:31PM +0200, Ulf Lamping wrote:
You might first read Readme.txt which will tell you to use appropriate settings in both files.

That was a very valuable hint :-) Actually, I read it when you first committed
this stuff, understood nothing and forgot about it again.

;-)

well, if fop is in your path, that should be working pretty well. As it's not in mine (and fop is not installable directly through cygwin),
I've choosen to hard code the path where to find it on my system.

Acutally, due to a bug in the fop.sh script, that is triggered only by
accessing that file via a link, the error below was triggered. Hardcoding
the absolut path of the fop.sh script made me get past the CLASSPATH problem.

do you mind to drop a note to the fop people, just in case they don't know about that problem?

Sorry, don't get the point. Which shell scripts do you mean?

fop.sh vs. fop.bat, but as I understand things now, it's basically what you
use in your cygwin environment?
Exactly

Btw, is this necessary or does the fop.sh
script work too?

didn't tested it. If I find some time ...

Maybe something to do with the CLASSPATH or such, but I'm unsure.

Yes, see above.

So, the hardest part was to read the README.txt :)
Sounds like very hard work ;-)

The second hardest proved to be finding the correct value for docbook-xsl.
We should put a note in the makefile, which file has to be in that path to work correctly, given the user a chance to search for that file.

The third hardest was get fop running (don't use fop, use the full path to
the real script).
Hmmm, I would think, that's not the way the script was intended for, see above.

All other problems turned trivial by following your instructions. I may
update the README.txt, Makefile and catalog.xml these days with comments
regarding Suse 9.1 - and maybe the beginnings of some autofoo stuff regarding
this issue.
As I don't know much about the autofoo stuff (except for the usage), I won't be much help.

However, I would appreciate, if the things will become easier for Unix people, too.

I've added some minor notes, hopefully they might help the next one trying to build things.

I'm happy that I'm not the only one, who can build the user's guide now :-)

Regards, ULFL